‘Peas Pulao’ is one of my favorite rice dishes that I prepare quite often. This ‘pulao’ can be done in a jiffy and also aromatic and has sweet tones because of peas or matar. This ‘pulao’ can be made with fresh or frozen peas. For best results, I would suggest you to use good quality fresh peas for this recipe. As a variation, some people also add chopped onion, chopped garlic, potatoes and coriander in this ‘pulao’. But I like light and subtle taste of ghee (clarified butter) and peas. It is the addition of ghee and garam masala which gives this pulao an irresistible aroma and flavor. After cooking, the rice grains should be separate and the ‘pulao’ should not look mushy.
Almost all korma style recipes, vegetarian or non vegetarian, make for great sides along with raita (yogurt based chutney). So if you are looking for vegetarian rice recipes which are flavorful and quick to make, look no further. Peas pulao is a one pot meal you can never go wrong with.
Ingredients to serve 4:
- Basmati Rice – 3 cups
- Matar or Green peas – 1 cup
- Ghee – 4 Tbsp
- Salt – As required
- Sugar – 2-3 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1” Stick
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Wash and soak rice for 1 hour.
- Heat oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pan.
- Add the whole spices. Sauté till the spices release their aroma and become fragrant.
- Add the matar/peas and sauté for a minute. (If you are using fresh peas then blanch them in boiling water for 3-4 minutes)
- Now add the soaked rice and sauté with light hand for 4-5 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Next add 3 cups of warm water. Sprinkle sugar and salt and mix gently.
- Cover and cook till the rice is done. Your peas pulao is ready!