Since I’m a Bengali, I’m fond of fish preparation. I try to make fish preparations with a tweak and twist every now and then. ‘Peyajkoli Mach’ is one of that kind. It is a very easy recipe that can be cooked with very minimal ingredients and with ease. It is a very tasty fish recipe from my Mom’s kitchen that she cooks quite often during winter when ‘peyajkoli’ or spring onion is available in abundance in market. Sharing the recipe of ‘Peyajkoli Mach’ … hope you all like it!
Ingredients to serve 4
- Rohu Fish or Any Carp – 8 pieces
- Potato – 1 (Cut into strips)
- Spring Onion – ½ cup (Cut into 2” size)
- Onion – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 1 tsp (Chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (Medium – Chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Coriander Leaf – ¼ cup
- Mustard Oil – ¼ cup
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put chopped garlic and onion into it. Sauté till raw smell of garlic goes off and onion becomes translucent.
- Now put potato, tomato and ginger paste. Sauté till oil separates.
- Next add chopped tomato and dry masalas. Mix a little.
- Now add the marinated fish. Do not add the excess marination. Mix with light hand.
- Now add the spring onion and water just to cover the fish pieces. Adjust salt.
- Cover and cook till potato and fish are done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with steamed rice only.