‘Gondhoraj Lebu’ (Aromatic King Lemon or Kaffir Lime) is widely available in Indian subcontinent and south east Asian countries. The beautiful aroma when mixed with any curry or dal it gives completely different dimension. There is wide use of this lime in every fish curries in south-east Asian countries. Both the rind of the lime and leaves are both used in a variety of recipes. My mother makes some awesome dishes using the lime and the leaf like ‘Gondhoraj Chicken’, ‘Lebu Patar Dal’, ‘Gondhoraj Maach’ etc. In fact we use this lime in our ‘Ghol’ (Bengali Lassi) too. Today I’ll be sharing a recipe inspired from my Maa’s recipe – ‘Gondhoraj Maach’. She adds some coconut milk in it, I just discarded that part and did it my way. Let’s see how to make ‘Rui Gondhoraj’!
- Marinate fish pieces with salt and ½ tsp turmeric powder and some salt for 15 minutes.
- Dry roast the cumin powder and make a fine powder in a grinder.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai or wok and fry the fish pieces till golden in colour.
- Add more oil in kadai if required. Add ginger paste and sauté for 2 -3 minutes.
- dd onion paste and cook till oil separates.
- Add ¾ cup of water, chilli paste and bring the water to a boil. Add fish pieces.
- After 2-3 minutes add dry roasted cumin powder and green chillies and mix well. Adjust salt.
- Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Garnish with Gandharaj lemon juice and lemon leaves, cover and let it rest for 2 minutes. Serve with steamed rice.
~ Never boil lemon leaf otherwise it will turn the whole dish bitter. Always add lime leaf and juice at the end of cooking and after switching off the gas.