‘Tomato Rui’ is a very easy Rohu Fish Curry from Bengali kitchen. There is no specific recipe for cooking ‘Tomato Rui’. You can temper the oil with whole spices or whole garam masala of your choice. Every family has its own recipe of cooking this fish curry. I normally cook this recipe in winter as fresh ripe red tomatoes are best available during winter. Though good quality tomatoes are available throughout the year now a days! This curry has a very beautiful red colour from the ripe juicy tomatoes and Kashmiri Red Chillie Powder. The curry is flavoured with whole garam masala. Try this exotic ‘Tomato Rui’ with steamed rice……
- Wash and marinate the fish pieces with salt and turmeric powder for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai and fry the fishes till they turn golden from both sides. Keep them aside.
- Add green cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and slitted green chillies in the oil.
- When they exudes aroma add sugar, onion paste, ginger paste and garlic paste and fry till the oil separates.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and fry till all tomatoes are mashed up and oil starts to separate.
- Add all powdered spices except garam masala powder. Fry till raw smell of spices goes off.
- Add 2 cups of water. When it starts boiling add fried fish pieces.
- Add garam masala powder and salt. Cover and cook in medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve it hot with steamed rice.