‘Pabda Mach’ or Indian Cat Fish is a very soft and tasty fish. It can be cooked with mustard-poppy seed paste ‘Shorshe Posto Pabda’ or can be cooked with tomato-ginger paste. This curry is little dry and tastes best with steamed rice. This is a very simple recipe and takes very less time to cook. All you need a little patience while frying the fish. If the oil is not hot, the fish sticks to the bottom of the pan. In addition, always use a lid while frying the fish, as hot oil splatters while frying the fish.
- Pabda Mach – 4 pcs
- Tomato – 1 big
- Ginger – 1”
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 4-5 nos
- Mustard Oil – ¼ cup
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Fresh Coriander – A handful
- Wash and clean the fishes. Smear ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt on the fishes. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make a smooth paste with tomato and ginger in a grinder.
- Heat sufficient oil in a frying pan to shallow fry the fishes. Carefully slide the fishes in hot oil. Fry till light from both sides. Take out from oil and keep aside.
- Add 2 tsp oil in pan. Temper the oil with slit green chillies.
- Add tomato and ginger paste. When oil start to appear on the sides add dry spices.
- Add a splash of water and cook till oil separates.
- Add ½ cup water and let it come to boil.
- Season with salt and add fried fishes. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn the fishes after 5 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 tsp oil on the pan. Sprinkle chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.