‘Poha’ or flattened rice is a very popular breakfast option in India specially in Maharashtra & Gujarat. In Gujarat, they like to add sugar in poha, as they like the taste of poha a little sweet but in Maharashtra it is normally savoury in taste. I had a packet of frozen corn in my refrigerator for a long period of time, I had made some Corn Cutlets and with the rest I made this Corn Poha. I was not at all sure, how the outcome will be… but it turned out really well. You can add other vegetables like beans and peas also. Here goes the recipe…
- Poha or Flattened Rice – 200 gms (Thick Variety)
- Corn – ½ cup
- Carrot – ¼ cup (Cut into small cubes)
- Potato – ¼ cup (Cut into small cubes)
- Green Chilli – 2-3 (Slitted)
- Rai or Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Ginger Paste – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Hing or Asafetida – ¼ tsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander Leaves – 2-3 Tbsp (Chopped)
- Soak poha for a while. Then drain out the excess water and spread on a colander.
- Sprinkle turmeric powder and ½ tsp salt on soaked poha. Mix with the help of a spoon or fork.
- Blanch potato, carrot and corn. If you are taking frozen corn then blanch them, but if you are using fresh corn then boil them. Keep everything aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Temper the oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, slit green chilli and hing.
- When aromatic add potato. Cook for a while.
- Next add ginger paste, carrot and corn. Mix everything together. Add ½ tsp salt.
- Add a splash of water and cook with the lid on.
- Next add soaked poha. Mix very well. Cover and cook for few minutes with the lid on.
- Remove from heat add lemon juice and chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with a cup of tea.