Kebabs are my all time favourite. I prefer to cook different types of kebabs than fried snacks at home. I also prefer to order kebabs at restaurants also. This is a very popular and common recipe in Mughlai Cuisine. Sharing this recipe with anticipation that you are going to like it.
Ingredients for first marination:
- Chicken Legs or Drumsticks – 4 nos
- Lemon Juice – 2-3 tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
Ingredients for second marination:
- Hung Curd – ¼ cup
- Fresh Cream – 2 Tbsp
- Cashew Paste – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Butter – 2-3 tsp
- To begin making the Kalmi Kebab or Tangdi Kebab, wash and clean the chicken leg pieces thoroughly. Make some slits on the drumsticks so that the flavor of the marinade seeps inside.
- Marinade the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under for ‘first marination’ and keep aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients mentioned under for ‘second marination’, except butter. Mix very well.
- Add the chicken pieces, coat well with the marinade and refrigerate to marinate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan. Place the marinated chicken on it and shallow-fry on high heat till the underside turns golden red in colour.
- Flip and cook the other side on high heat.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till chicken is cooked through. Turn the pieces from time to time and baste with melted butter.
- Alternatively, you can also cook/roast the chicken in an oven. Pre heat the oven at 200C. Then arrange the marinated chicken in single layer. Cook one side under grill option for 15 minutes on one side then turn the chicken pieces. Cook for another 15 minutes. Baste with melted butter while turning the chicken pieces.
- Serve Kalmi Kebab or Tangdi Kebab hot with Pickled Onions, Dahi-Pudina Chutney and green salad.