Sunday means having something special and can be made quickly as a snack. Last Sunday when we all were at home (read we had to because of adverse weather) we all felt like having something in the evening inspite of late lunch! We had a Sunday must chicken curry, rice, salad, tomato chutney and fried papad in lunch. Inspite of having a heavy meal everybody felt like having ‘kichu michu’ (something) in evening. When I checked my pantry I found some cheese cubes and staple vegetable of every Bengali family, potato. So I quickly made this Cheesy Potato Ball. It took around 45 minutes to prepare the dish from scratch and took 15 minutes to finish off… ha ha ha. Here goes the recipe.
- Potato – 4 (Big – boiled)
- Salt – To taste
- Mixed Herb – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Corn Flour – 1 tsp + 4 tsp
- Processed Cheese Cube – 4 nos (Each cut into 4 pieces)
- Bread Crumb – 1 cup
- Refined Oil – For deep frying
- Remove the skin from the boiled potatoes. Mash them into smooth lump-free mix.
- Add salt, pepper, mixed herb and 1 tsp cornflour.
- Make a slurry adding ½ cup water with 4 tsp of cornflour. Add a pinch of salt. Keep aside.
- Take bread crumb into a separate bowl.
- Cut each cheese cube into 4 pieces.
- Pinch a small portion from the potato mix. Roll between your palm to make a smooth ball.
- Make a small dent in the middle of the ball. Put the cheese cube inside. Cover with potato mix from all sides.
- Roll in the bread crumb.
- Now deep in the cornfrour slurry.
- Again coat with bread crumb. Repeat for rest of the mix.
- Keep in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai.
- Release the coated cheesy potato ball one by one in hot oil. Do not over crowd. Fry 4-5 ball at a time.
- Fry till crisp and brown from all sides.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or hot-sweet chilli sauce.