Whenever we think of making any ‘Vrat’ recipe, the first thing that comes to our mind is Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vada, Aloo Tikki and few other recipes. Sabudana Khichdi is a personal favourite of Man of the family so I prepare quite often for his lunch box. There are different version of this khichdi keeping the basic ingredients same. Some use raw peanut with skin and fry in oil, some uses turmeric powder, some use oil as cooking medium, some adds crushed black pepper. I have tried every combination and found the following recipe suits our taste bud. The flavour of hing with ghee with crunchiness of crushed peanuts with burst of flavour from cumin along with mild sweetness of sugar with a balance of lemon juice and sharpness of green chilli with fresh flavour of chopped coriander makes this dish amazing. I sometimes add curry leaves with cumin seeds and sometimes not. Add or discard ingredients as per your choice but surely prepare this simple yet yummy Sabudana Khichdi!
- Sabudan or Tapioca Pearl – 250 gms
- Potato – 1 Big (Cubed)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or Hing – ¼ tsp
- Roasted Peanut – ¼ cup
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2-3 (Slit)
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander – For garnish
- Ghee/Oil – 2-3 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Wash and soak ‘sabudana’ for 3-4 hours or overnight depending on the quality of ‘sabudana’. Keep the water level 1 to 1.5” above the level of ‘sabudana.
- After 4 hours check one sabudana by pressing between your fingers. If it can be mashed easily then drain out the excess water on a colander. Let the water drain out completely, else the khichdi will become lumpy.
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Temper the ghee with hing, curry leaves and cumin seeds.
- Add in slit green chilli and cubed potato. Sprinkle some salt to increase the cooking of potato.
- Crush the roasted peanuts.
- Add the soaked sabudana and crushed peanut.
- Sprinkle salt and sugar. Mix everything together.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and transfer Sabudana Khichdi in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and serve hot as breakfast or pack for lunch box.