This rice preparation or ‘Mishti Pulao’ (Sweet Pilaf) is very popular in every Bengali household. And every house has it’s own recipe of ‘Mishti Pulao’. In our house I have seen my ‘Thakuma’ (Grand Mother) cooking ‘Mishti Pulao’ in different ways, depending on the occasion and side dish that are going to be served. I already have shared a recipe of ‘Bengali Style Vegetable Pulao’ and will be sharing some more in future. I hope you are going to like this version of ‘Mishti Pulao’.
- Basmati or Long Grain Aromatic Rice – 200 gms
- Vegetables – 1 cup (I have used carrot, beans and green peas)
- Dry Fruits – ¼ cup (Cashew, Almond and Raisin)
- Green Chilli – 2-3
- Bay Leaf – 2-3
- Clove – 5-6
- Green Cardamom – 2-3
- Cinnamon – 2”
- Whole Black Peppercorn – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp or according to your taste
- Salt – To taste
- Ghee – 4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Wash and soak basmati rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes half cook the rice. Drain out the water and keep the rice separately.
- Heat oil and 2 tsp of ghee in a big heavy bottomed pan. Temper with bay leaf and whole garam masala. Sauté for a while.
- Add chopped vegetables and green chilli. Sauté till they turn a little soft.
- Next add cashew, almond and raisin.
- Add half cooked rice too.
- Add in sugar and salt.
- Next add water just to cover the rice.
- Cover and cook till all water dries up and rice is cooked.
- Drizzle 1-2 tsp of ghee and lightly turn the rice with a fork.
- Rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot with any veg or non-veg curry.