‘Matar Dal’ or split yellow peas is one of my favourite ‘dal’ that I love to eat with rice, with roti or as it is. This simple ‘dal’ along with seasonal vegetables and mild flavour of green chilli and ginger is just an awesome combination. Sometimes I eat as it is in breakfast. The taste of the ‘dal’ doubles when it is tempered with ‘hing’, cumin seeds, red chilli in mustard oil. I have added some ‘Kanthal Beej’ or jackfruit seeds, as it is in season. The nutty texture of the seeds gives the ‘dal’ very nice flavour and texture. Jackfruit seeds are readily available in market now in season. For this seeds you need not to but jackfruit, if you are not jackfruit lover like me! I hope you are going to love this recipe.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Matar Dal or Yellow Split Peas – 1 cup
- Potato – 2 (Cut into halves with skin)
- Sweet Potato – 2 (Cut into big pieces)
- Carrot – ½ (Cut into big pieces)
- Kanthal Beej or Jackfruit Seeds – 8-10 pcs (Cut into halves)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Pinch
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Grated)
- Green Chilli – 3-4
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
For Tarka or tempering
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry Whole Red Chillie – 2
- Hing – 1 fat pinch
- Wash and soak the dal for 2 hours. Cook 1 cup of Yellow Split Peas in the pressure cooker with all the vegetables adding 1 pinch of turmeric, grated ginger, green chilli, sugar and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes on high heat then cook on low heat for about 5-7 minutes. You can also cook in a pot, only it will take more time.
- After the pressure is released, pour the boiled ‘dal’ in the serving pot.
- In a tadka pan heat 2 tsp of mustard oil. Temper with 1 tsp of whole cumin seeds/jeera, dry red chilli and hing. After the jeera starts crackling pour it on the ‘dal’ and cover the pot for few minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti.