‘Chawli’ or ‘Lobia’ is very popular in south-western states, specially in Maharashtra. I love ‘Chawli Curry’ with steamed rice or as it is a side with ‘roti’ or simple bread toast. Warm soft beans along with regular Indian spices just melts in your mouth. I recommend to try once. As this curry is full of protein. You can pack this in lunch box too. Here goes the recipe. If you are ‘Chawli’ lover like me, you can try my ‘Chawli Usal’ and ‘Lobia Masala’ recipe too recipe too.
- Chawli or Lobia or Black Eyed Beans – 150 gms
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Whole Red Chilli – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Onion – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Scrapped Coconut – ¼ cup
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander – For garnishing
- Rinse and soak the beans overnight in enough water. Next day drain the water and pressure cook the beans with some salt with 2 cups of water till they are cooked completely and are soft. Do not drain the water.
- Heat oil in a big pan or wok. Temper the oil with cumin seeds, red chilli, bay leaf and asafoetida.
- Next add chopped onion. Sauté till onion become translucent.
- Add ginger paste and cook till raw smell goes off.
- Add all powder masala except garam masala powder. Cook till oil separates. Add a little water from the boiled beans if you feel the masala has become very dry.
- Add cooked beans. Mix everything together.
- Check seasoning. Add half of the scrapped coconut. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cover add garam masala powder. Mix for one more time.
- Remove from fire. Garnish with scrapped coconut and chopped coriander leaf.