‘Kajoli Mach’, ‘Kajli Mach’ or ‘Kajuli Mach’ is a type of fresh water fish. It is cooked with mustard – poppy seed paste with green chillies. It tastes heavenly if cooked fresh and served hot with steamed rice only. This fish is very delicate and very difficult to fry. So, I recommend to cook fresh without frying the fish. It is also called ‘Banshpata Mach’ in some places. It is also very tasty if cooked with brinjal. I will share that recipe later. Till then enjoy ‘Kajoli Macher Jhal’.
- Kajoli Mach – 500 gms
- Kalojeera or Nigella Seeds – ½ tsp
- White Mustard Seeds – 3 Tbsp
- Poppy Seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 6-8 nos
- Mustard Oil – 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander Leaf – A handful
- Wash and clean the fishes under running water. Drain the excess oil.
- Smear some turmeric powder and salt on the fishes. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Soak mustard oil and poppy seeds in lukewarm water for 30 minutes. Then grind into smooth paste adding 1 green chilli and a little salt.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a kadai. Temper the oil with nigella needs and 2 slit green chillies.
- Add mustard and poppy seed paste. Cook for a while.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- When the water starts to boil add fishes.
- Add slit green chilli. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and drizzle 1 tsp mustard oil. Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice only.