We are ‘Paratha’ lovers. We mean everybody in my parents’ house. So whenever I visit them, I prepare a different type of ‘paratha’ for breakfast or for brunch. Now a days I try to avoid fried foods during dinner. Maa normally prepare ‘Dalpuri’ with split Bengal gram or chana dal or cholar dal. But when I checked my Mom’s pantry, I found I big packet of moong dal. Then I decided if ‘Moong Dal Kachori’ can be prepared, why not ‘Paratha’? And it came out really good! The soft outer cover with spicy moong dal stuffing. I will rather request you to try this ‘Paratha’ and I’m sure it is not going to disappoint you.
For making the dough:
- All Purpose Flour – 250 gms
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
For making the stuffing:
- Moong Dal or Split Yellow Lentil – 150 gms
- Ginger – 1 tsp grated
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafetida or Hing – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Garma Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp
- Refined Oil – For deep frying
- Soak moong dal for 2-3 hours then wash them thoroughly.
- Boil the dal adding little water, turmeric and salt. Add water in a way that all water should dries up while boiling the dal.
- Let the boiled dal cool down completely. Then mash them with your hand. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp mustard oil in a non stick pan.
- Temper the oil with hing and cumin seeds. When cumin seeds starts to crackle add grated ginger and sauté for few seconds.
- Next add boiled and mashed dal, sugar and salt. Mix in quickly. Sauté till dal dries up and start to leave the side of the pan.
- Add roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder. Sauté on medium-low heat till everything combines together and the mix become crumbly.
- Take out from pan and let it cool down completely.
- Meanwhile knead the dough. Take flour in a big mixing bowl. Add 2 tsp oil and salt. Mix everything together. Now knead into a semi-soft dough adding little water at a time. Cover and leave for 30 minutes with a lid on.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again. Pinch a lemon size ball from the dough. Roll between your palms.
- Roll it into a small disk. Put 2 tsp of moong dal filling on the centre of it. Cover it from all the sides.
- Roll once again between your palms and then press a little with your hand.
- Now dusting a little flour roll it into a roti. Repeat the process for rest of the dough and filling.
- Heat a tava. Put the rolled paratha on the tava. Roast it from both the sides till light brown spot appears on both sides. Turn it from time to time.
- Now apply 1 tsp oil on one side. Turn the paratha and then apply another tsp oil. And roast it till it becomes crisp. Always keep the heat on low.
- Serve hot with ‘Tikha Chatpata Dum Aloo’ or ‘Niramish Aloor Dum’.