Mutton Shami Kebab is a famous Hyderabadi kebab dish, which is made with minced mutton. The ‘Shami’ is an authentic Hyderabadi cuisine, which is made by a paste of cooked meat and chana dal (Chick Pea Lentil or Bengal Gram). Basically, chana dal is added to give a perfect binding for the shami kebab recipe. The kebabs may not turn out perfectly if the binding is not right. The recipe also requires spices to give a wonderful aroma.
The shami kebab are in the form of mutton patties which are shallow fried in oil and they are usually eaten with rice / pulao or can be eaten as a appetizer or entrée. The texture of this kebab is very smooth as the meat is boiled and the ground into smooth paste. Later they are shaped in round or oval.
This is a non-veg snack item but can also be made with vegetables. You can refer my Enchore Shami Kebab recipe. Many more kebabs are popular not only in India but also kebabs are very common throughout the world. The basic ingredient for kebabs is usually meat but meat can be substituted by chicken, fish etc…
Kebabs or kebabs are of different kind and can be made into various varieties such as Galouti Kebab, Chapli Kebab, Chicken Shami Kebab, Vegetable Shami Kebab, Kakori Kebab, Seekh Kebabs, Hara Bhara Kebab etc….
For cooking the meat:
- Boneless Mutton – 500 gms
- Bengal Gram – ½ cup
- Black Cardamom – 2 pcs
- Green Cardamom – 6 pcs
- Cinnamon Sticks – 2”
- Garlic – 8-10 pods
- Ginger – 1 piece (Cut into 1″ x 1″ size)
- Black Cumin or Caraway Seeds – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½
- Salt – To taste
For Making the kebabs:
- Ginger Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Green Chillis – 1 Tbsp (Chopped)
- Garam Masala Masala – 1 tsp
- Green Coriander Leaf – ¼ cup (Finely chopped)
- Refined Oil – For frying
- In a big pot, add the meat, bengal gram, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon sticks, caraway seeds, salt, turmeric powder, ginger pieces and garlic pods.
- Add water to cover the meat. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and continue to cook it until all the water has evaporated and the meat is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep aside to cool down completely. Discard the whole spices.
- Put the meat in a grinder. Pass the meat twice through grinder adding the green chillis and green coriander.
- Take out the mixture in a big bowl. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, garam masala powder. Mix very well.
- Grease your hands with a little oil. Pinch a lemon-sized portions from the mix and shape like a patty.
- Heat 2-3 Tbsp of refined oil in a pan. Carefully place the kebabs in the pan. Cook the patties until they turn a golden brown from both sides.
- Remove from pan and take out on kitchen paper.
- Serve with onion rings and raita or green chutney.