‘Tilapia’ is one of my favourite fishes. And I cook this fish quite often. It is my family’s favourite too. So I cook different dishes with this fish like ‘Capsicum Tilapia’, ‘Posto Tilapia’, ‘Shorshe Tilapia’ etc. ‘Masala Tilapia’ is nothing but a simple fish curry with rich gravy of onion, ginger, garlic and tomato. It is very simple yet very delicious and goes very well with steamed rice. Here I have use whole Tilapia in the recipe, if you wish you can cook with pieces of Tilapia too. Here goes the recipe…
- Tilapia Fish – 4 nos
- Onion Paste – ½ cup
- Tomato Puree – ½ cup
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 4-5
- Coriander Leaf – A handful (Chopped)
- Mustard Oil – 4-5 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Smear 1 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt on the fishes and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat 4 Tbsp mustard oil in a heavy bottomed pan or kadai till the oil reaches smoking point and then reduce the heat.
- Put the fishes one by one in the pan and fry bothe sides. Turn the fishes from time to time. Keep aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp more oil in kadai and put garlic paste and ginger paste. Sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Next add onion paste and fry till oil separates.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and tomato puree. Sauté for couple of minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water and slit green chilli. Adjust salt.
- Now put in the fried fish carefully in the gravy. Cover and cook till fish is done. The gravy should be neither thick nor too runny.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander. Serve with steamed rice.