This super tasty Hilsa Fish curry is very tasty and easy to cook. Normally Hilsa Fish is cooked with mustard paste which is known as ‘Shorshe Ilish’, ‘Bhapa Shorshe Ilish’, ‘Shorshe Ilisher Jhal’ or ‘Bhapa Doi Ilish’. Here is the recipe with cumin powder or paste with a dash of ginger. And adding the green chillis and mustard oil give a beautiful flavor in the curry. This light fish curry goes very well with steamed rice.
- Ilish Mach or Hilsa Fish – 6 pieces
- Plantain – 1 (Cut into big pieces)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Ginger Paste – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 5-6
- Mustard Oil – 4 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Smear turmeric powder and salt on fish pieces.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai. Sauté the plantain pieces. Take out and keep aside.
- In the same kadai add some more oil. Temper the oil with cumin seeds.
- Add ginger paste and cumin powder. Fry till oil separates.
- Add 1 cup water. When water starts to boil add fish pieces and sautéed plantain.
- Adjust salt. Add slit green chillis. Cover and cook till plantain and hilsa are done.
- Drizzle 1tsp mustard oil on the curry. Remove from fire and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice only.