This Chicken Stew is my Mom’s specialty. She used to make it for dinner or sometimes when I used to return back from school. After years when I joined office which was near to heart of the City, Dalhousie Square, I first tasted similar Chicken Stew with Veggies from famous ‘Chotto Da’s’ restaurant. Dalhousie is foodies’ paradise. You can get every type of food here right from ‘Chowmin’, ‘Kolkata famous Egg Roll’, ‘Biryani’, simple fish, chicken, mutton or egg meal and what not! There is a narrow lane named Decers Lane where this famous Chicken Stew can be tasted. I found somewhat similar taste of my Mom’s Chicken Stew in this. Today when I prepared the same Chicken Stew I thought of sharing the same recipe with you. Hope you are going to like it.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Chicken on Bones – 400 gms (Cut into medium pieces)
- Potato – 2 (Cubed)
- Papaya – ½ (Cut into chunks)
- Carrots – 1 Cup (Cut into big pieces)
- Beans – ½ Cup (2” Pieces)
- Peas – ½ cup
- Tomato – 1 Large (Cubed)
- Onion – ¾ Cup (Cubed)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Finely chopped)
- Garlic Clove – 3-4
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Clove – 3
- Cinnamon – 2 (1” Stick)
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Butter – 1 Tbsp
- Black Pepper – ½ tsp (Crushed)
- Salt – According to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or thick bottomed large pan. Add the whole & crushed spices – cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper. Sauté them till fragrant.
- Then add the garlic clove, chopped ginger and cubed onions. Sauté till the onions become translucent. Don’t brown the onions.
- Add chicken pieces and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Next add potato and stir well.
- After 2-3 minutes add all other vegetables.
- Adjust salt.
- Add vegetable stock / chicken stock / water. Cover the pan and cook till chicken is done.
- It takes around 5-6 minutes in pressure cooker on medium heat.
- Let the pressure release of it’s own. Add butter.
- Serve Chicken Stew with Vegetables bread rolls or simple steamed rice.