It’s been long time that I haven’t post any mutton recipe. Few days back I prepared ‘Dhakai Mutton Tehari’. This is a recipe from east Bengal. It is a very easy and quick recipe. Most interesting part is this recipe can be cooked with very few ingredients. My whole family liked this recipe … I hope you are also going to like it.
- Mutton – 1 kg
- Aromatic Rice / Basmati Rice – 500 gms
- Potato – 1 (Big – cut into chunks)
- Mustard Oil – ¼ cup
- Beresta or Fried Onion – ½ cup
- Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Cumin Seed Paste – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Paste – 1 tsp
- Curd – ½ cup
- Ghee – 4 Tbsp
- Khoya or Milk Solid – 2 tsp
- Peanut Paste – 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Cinnamon – 2”
- Clove – 4
- Green Cardamom – 4
- Bay Leaf – 2-3
- Green Chilli – 5-6
- Keora Water – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Wash and clean the mutton pieces. Now marinate the mutton with the ingredients mentioned under for marination. Cover and keep aside for atleast 1 hour.
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and heat 2 Tbsp ghee. Now put in the marinated mutton and start cooking.
- Add salt and keep stirring occasionally. Cook the mutton with the lid on. If you wish you can use pressure cooker to cook the meat.
- When the mutton is almost done add garam masala powder, ‘khoya’ and peanut paste. Mix well and keep aside.
- Take another heavy bottomed pan and heat 2 Tbsp ghee.
- Fry the potatoes. Take out from ghee and keep aside.
- Temper the ghee with whole garam masala.
- Now add washed rice and fry till the colour of rice starts to change a little.
- Add cooked mutton and fried potatoes. Mix well.
- Next add green chilli and water to cook the rice. Adjust salt. The water and rice ration should be 1:1.
- Cover and cook till rice is done. Sprinkle 1 tsp keora water and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with raita and salad.