‘Pabda’ is a native Indian catfish which is widely available in eastern part of India especially in Kolkata and adjacent areas. It is a sweet water fish and very soft in nature. ‘Pabda’ fish has a distinct flavor and sweet in taste. Delicious fish recipes can be prepared using very few spices. Here is my first recipe with ‘Pabda’ fish.
- Pabda Fish – 4 pcs (Medium Size)
- Mustard Paste – 2 tsp
- Poppy Seed Paste – 2 tsp
- Kalo Jeera or Nigella Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Whole Green Chilli – 3-4 pcs
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp + for frying the fish
- Clean and wash the fishes. Now marinate the fishes with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat some oil in a pan and carefully shallow fry the fishes. Take out from oil and keep aside.
- Keep 2 tsp oil in the pan and temper the oil with nigella seeds and 2 slit green chilli.
- When it start to crackle add mustard paste and poppy seed paste. Add ½ cup water in the pan and mix all well.
- Now add red chilli powder and fried fish.
- When the water starts the boil cover the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- After 5 minutes add slit green chilli and rest for another couple of minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice only.