I am a prawn lover and I love to cook with prawns. I feel that that the flavor of coconut enhances the flavor of prawns in any dish. My previous recipe of ‘Prawn Pulao’ was also with coconut but with other flavouring ingredients too but this recipe is a very simple one. The rice is cooked in coconut milk only with some grated coconut.
- Gobindo Bhog Rice or any Short Grained Aromatic Rice – 300 gms
- Shrimp – 25-30 pcs
- Coconut Milk – 2 cups
- Grated Coconut – 3-4 Tbsp
- Onion – 2 (Big – finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Bay Leaf – 2 no
- Cinnamon Stick – 2” size
- Green Cardamom – 3-4 nos
- Clove – 3-4 nos
- Whole Black Pepper Corn – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 3-4
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Clean the prawns and devein them. Marinate the prawn with salt and turmeric for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a big kadai or thick bottomed pan with lid. Sauté the shrimp till they turn pink. Remove and keep aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp ghee to same pot. Temper the ghee+oil with 1 bay leaf and whole garam masala.
- Add chopped onion and fry till it becomes translucent.
- Next add soaked rice. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of warm water. Mix well.
- Now add coconut milk, green chillis and fried prawns.
- Adjust salt. Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes, until the rice is cooked and water gets dried up.
- Add grated coconut. Mix well.
- Give a standing time of 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with any chicken or mutton dish.