Here another quick-fix one pot rice recipe for my vegetarian friends. I love soya and I keep on experimenting with soya granules and chunks in my different recipes. I already have shared two recipes with soya … ‘Soya Chunk Fried Rice’ and ‘Soya Keema Pulao’. I hope you all are going to like this recipe too. I have use a specific variety of short grained fragrant rice which is available in Bangladesh only. You may substitute it with ‘Gobindobhog Rice’ or ‘Basmati Rice’ according to your convenience. Refer the note below and happy cooking!
- Rice – 2 cups
- Soya Chunks – 3 cups
- Onion – 1 large (Finely chopped)
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato – 1 (Chopped)
- Curd – 200 gms
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 3-4
- Chopped Coriander – A handful
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Clove – 2
- Cinnamon – 2”
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Wash and soak rice for 15-20 minutes.
- Boil water in a large pot and add in the soya chunks. Let them boil for 15-20 minutes adding some salt. Drain the water after soya chunks become soft. Soak the boiled soya nuggets in cold water and wash thoroughly.
- Squeeze the excess water in put them in a bowl.
- Add in yogurt, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, sugar and little salt. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp oil and ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the rice and keep aside.
- In the same pan add rest of the oil and ghee. Temper the oil with all the whole masalas and bay leaf. Fry for few seconds and then add chopped onion. Fry till onion turns pink.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Add potato pieces and marinated soya chunks. (If you wish you can fry the potatoes separately).
- Cook them till all masalas cooked up and oil starts to release from sides. It will take around 5-6 minutes.
- Next add fried rice. Mix very well. Add salt and 2.5 cups of water. Cover and cook till rice are cooked and water dries up.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle garam masala powder. Mix with very light hand.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with raita or any other chicken, mutton or vegetarian dishes by side.
~ I have used short grain fragrant rice called ‘Chini Gura’ which is available in Bangladesh only. You can substitute it with ‘Gobindobhog’ rice.
~ If you don’t get the above mentioned rice variety, you can use Basmati or any long grained rice too. For that you need to soak the rice for 25-30 minutes and have to add 1 cup more water.