I am sharing a fish recipe after a long time! I really don’t remember when I shared a fish recipe last time! Fish and Rice is all time comfort food for Bengalis. Yesterday was Sunday and we all enjoyed a peaceful elaborate fish meal consisting of ‘Shukto’, ‘Palong Saaker Dalna’, ‘Mulo dea Musur Dal’, ‘Punti Macher Jhal’ and ‘Nolen Gurer Bhapa Doi’. ‘Punti Mach’ or PuNti Fish is a kind of native fish easily available in Kolkata fish market. It is very small in size, about 2” to 3” long. But this ‘Shor PuNti’ is slightly bigger in size. It has a different smell and flavor which is quite different from our regular carp. Today the recipe that I will be sharing is a very light curry without onion and a little runny gravy. The other version of this fish curry is a rich fish curry with onion. That is mainly cooked with the smaller fish that I have mentioned above.
- ShorPuNti Mach or Fish – 4 nos
- Mustard Paste – 1 tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Clove – 3-4 pcs
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Nigella Seeds or Kalo Jeera – ½ tsp
- Whole Green Chilli – 2-3
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp + For frying the fish
- Clean the fishes and wash them properly. Drain out the excess water.
- Smear some turmeric powder and salt on the fishes. Marinade for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai to fry the fishes. Slide the fish in hot oil carefully. Cover and fry them till they turn light brown. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- Now pour the excess oil in a pot keeping only 2 tsp oil in wok.
- Temper the oil with nigella seeds and green chilli.
- Next add ginger paste and garlic cloves. Sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Next add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and ½ cup water.
- When the water starts to boil add mustard paste and salt.
- Carefully place all the fried fish in the wok. Cover and cook till fish is cooked.
- Serve hot with steamed rice only.