Today I am going to share a light chicken recipe with green chilli and lemon flavoured. A few days back I have shared another recipe of chicken which is also flavoured with a special type of lemon called “Gondhoraj Lebu” (Keffir Lime). The name of today’s recipe is “Lebu Lonka Murgi”. The origin of this dish may be from the chefs of a popular Bengali Restaurant called Bhajohori Manna and later it made entry to modern day Bengali’s kitchen. But that is cooked with “Gondhoraj Lebu”. I cooked it with regular lemon with chilli paste. Last week I tried this new chicken recipe at our home and everyone loved the taste.
This is not at all good looking or appealing dish with its thin and white-brownish curry, but most fresh and flavorful Chicken Curry I have ever made. After the festive season for last one month when you do not like to have heavy and reach food at all, it is ideal. Serve this with simple steamed rice. And you are done.
I have used freshly ground coriander powder for this recipe. Before grinding I roasted them lightly on tava and ground them in dry grinder. You can always use store bought coriander powder but this freshly ground coriander powder gives nice flavor to this dish. This is a very easy to cook chicken curry, You need to marinade the chicken for 1 hour with onion, ginger and garlic aste and yogurd and then slow cook the chicken adding other ingredients. Here is my version of “Lebu Lonka Murgi”….
- Chicken – 700 gms (With bone cut into medium sized pieces)
- Onion Paste – ½ cup
- Ginger Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Green Chili Paste – 2-3 tsp
- Yogurt – ½ cup
- Lemon Juice – 3 Tbsp
- Green Chilli – 2-3
- Green Cardamoms – 5-6
- Freshly Ground Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
- Chopped Coriander Leaf – A handful
- Oil –4 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- In a large glass bowl marinade chicken pieces with yogurt, onion paste, ginger paste and garlic paste, chili paste, half of lime juices, coriander powder, sugar, half of the oil and salt to the chicken. Mix it well and let it rest for about an hour.
- Take a big wok heat the remaining oil. Add cardamoms and wait until nice smell comes up.
- Take the chicken pieces from the marinade and add to the pan. Fry them on medium high heat till the chicken pieces start to get light brown.
- Now add the marinade in the wok and mix well. Cover and let it cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the cover and add salt to taste. Again cover and cook till chicken is done.
- Now drizzle rest of the lemon juice, chopped coriander and slit green chilli. Remove from fire and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or pulao.