Many of you must be thinking everyday what to pack for your kid’s lunch box everyday! Today’s kids go through a hectic routine everyday because of their studies and other activities everyday. So their foods have to be nutritious at the same time filling…. and most importantly easy to cook. Today I’ll be sharing a recipe which is protein packed and healthy. I have used some mixed legumes laying in my pantry for making this pancake. You can use any pulses of your choice. One thing to keep in mind that, do not throw away the boiled pulses water, it is also full of protein. Use it in any curry that you will cook. This pancake is ideal for your kid’s lunch box. Also you can eat it as a brunch or mid morning snack. Sometimes I eat it as my lunch too. Try this recipe at your home, I’m sure you are going to love it …
- Oats – 2 cups
- Mixed Lentil or Legumes – 1 cup (I have used green gram, Bengal gram, rajma or kidney beans, whole red lentil, black eyed pea and yellow pea in equal portion)
- Onion – ½ cup (Finely Chopped)
- Ginger – 2 tsp (Finely Chopped)
- Chole Masala – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Chopped Coriander – A handful
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Chopped Green Chilli – 2
- Salt – To taste
- Soak the mixed dals in water overnight. Next day wash them with fresh water and pressure cook them adding turmeric powder and salt. Cook till 1 whistle and then on low fire for another 5-6 minutes. Let the pressure release of it’s own.
- Now strain the cooked dal. Do not discard the water, use them in any curry or if required to combine all ingredients in this recipe.
- With the help of a potato masher, mash all the dals.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients together except oil.
- If required add a little lentil cooked water.
- Let it rest for 5-7 minutes so that oats absorbs all the moisture from the cooked dal.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil on a tava and put a ladle full of the mixture on hot tava.
- Let the pancake cook from one side then flip them carefully.
- Cook them on medium –low heat till they become brown crisp from outside.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce or as it is as your breakfast, brunch or snack.