Lakshmi Puja (Lokkhi Pujo) is such an occasion that is been celebrated in each and every house of Bengal. On that day we worship Goddess Lakshmi with puja, arthi and offering ‘Bhog’. ‘Narkel Naru’ (Coconut Laddu) is one of such sweet that is offered to her. This year along with ‘Narkel Naru’ I made some ‘Elojhelo’ with guidance of my Mom. It turned out really well and thought of sharing the recipe with you all. You can serve this as a snack along with tea or coffee too. Here goes the recipe …
May Goddess Lakshmi shower wealth, happiness and prosperity on you and your family 🙂
Ingredients to make 15 nos
- Maida or All Purpose Flour – 200 gms
- Ghee or Clarified Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Refined Oil – For deep frying
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Lime Juice – 1 tsp
- Sesame Seeds – 2 Tbsp (Optional)
- In a large bowl mix in all purpose flour, clarified butter and salt.
- Now adding little water at a time knead a soft dough.
- Apply 1 tsp oil on the dough. Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Take a non stick or thick bottomed pan and pour in sugar and water. Make a sugar syrup of 1 string consistency.
- Add lime juice and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal parts.
- Roll them between palms. Now with the help of a rolling pin roll each one into a small disk.
- Now make vertical strips (1/2 cm thick) on the rolled disk.
- Next make a bunch on both sides of it to make an elongated shape.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai and deep fry each of them till crisp and golden.
- Coat each with sugar syrup and sprinkle some sesame seeds (optional).
- Let the sugar syrup dry completely.
- Store in an airtight container and serve as a snack.