So it is the end of the monsoon and the season of festivals knocking the door! Before monsoon finally says adieu thought of sharing two beautiful recipes with the silver crop of the season … ‘Ilish’ or Hilsa. The first recipe is ‘Doi Ilish’ or Hilsa Fish Curry with Yogurt. There are some variations in it keeping the main ingredient that is ‘Doi’ (Yogurt). Some do not add turmeric to keep the gravy white, some do not add chilli powder, some do not add mustard paste / powder. But I like the zing of mustard with beautiful yellow colour, mildly spiced with chilli, sourness of yogurt with a hint of sugar. So I put all these ingredients together in this Hilsa Fish Curry so that when you eat this curry all these flavours will burst into your mouth. Hope you will like the recipe.
- Ilish Maach or Hilsa Fish – 4 pieces
- Yogurt – 4-5 Tbsp
- Mustard Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2-3
- Mustard Oil – 2-3 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Marinate the fish pieces with turmeric and little salt for 15-20 minutes.
- In a bowl beat the yogurt and mustard powder adding sugar and little water. Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add slit green chilli. Put the heat on low else the chillies will splutter.
- Now add the yogurt mix in oil and stir continuously.
- Next add red chilli powder and salt.
- Now place the fish pieces in a single layer and cover the pan. If required add some water just to cook the fish.
- After 3-4 minutes carefully turn the fish pieces and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Doi Ilish is ready to be served with steamed rice.