This is a delicious vegetarian recipe that is cooked in our house quite often. Those who avoid adding onion in vegetarian dishes can discard adding it and can make it absolute no onion-garlic recipe. This is a very easy recipe only the difficult part is making the fritters. Sometimes I add shrimp to the fritters to make them tastier. Try this curry on any week end lunch or dinner.
For making the fritters:
- Matar Dal or Yellow Lentil – 100 gms
- Cholar Dal or Bengal Gram – 50 gms
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Finely Chopped)
- Green Chilli – 2 (Finely Chopped)
- Coriander – A handful (Chopped)
- Onion – 1 (Finely Chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Pinch
For making the curry:
- Potato – 2 (Boiled & cubed)
- Onion Paste – 2-3 Tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
- Tomato Puree – ½ cup
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Asafetida or Hing – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2
- Mustard Oil – 2-3 tsp + for frying the fritters
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Soak 2 types of lentils separately for 5-6 hours. Wash them thoroughly. Now keep 2 tsp of soaked lentils separately and grind the rest in a grinder adding a little or no water.
- Take out the ground paste in a bowl. Add chopped onion, ginger, green chilli and a pinch of turmeric. Mix the batter till it become a little fluffy. Add the soaked dal and salt.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai to fry the ‘daler bora/kofta’ or fritters. Take a spoon full of batter and release it in hot oil. If the fritter floats in the oil it means the batter is perfect. If you feel that the batter is little runny add couple of spoon besan of gram flour.
- Take out the fritters on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in another kadai and temper the oil with hing, cumin seeds, bay leaf and green chilli.
- Add onion paste, ginger paste and tomato puree one at a time. Sauté till oil separates.
- Now add boiled potato pieces and all dry masala powders except garam masala. Sauté it very well.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt, sugar and garam masala powder. Let the gravy boil for few minutes on medium flame.
- Add the fried kofta or fritters. Boil for couple of minutes and switch off the flame.
- Take out in a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander.