There are days when I do not feel like cooking at all. On those days I prefer to cook these types of rice preparation which is whole some. Though I served ‘Whole Masoor Dal Pulao’ with some ‘Lauki Kofta Curry’ by side but a simple ‘raita’ can serve the purpose too. As we all know that lentil is high on protein and very good for health. So you can prepare this rice for your kid’s lunch box too. The rice is very easy to cook and good to taste. Here goes the recipe …
- Basmati or Any Long Grained Rice – 250 gms
- Whole Masoor Dal or Red Whole Lentil (With Skin) – 75 gms
- Onion – 1 (Big – Chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Chopped Vegetables – Optional (I used carrot, beans and green peas)
- Green Chilli – 2-3
- Oil – 3-4 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander – For garnishing
- Wash and soak rice and dal separately for atleast 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper the oil with cumin seeds. Sauté till nutty aroma exudes.
- Add chopped onion. Fry till it turns pink.
- Next add chopped ginger and chopped vegetables. Sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Now add soaked whole masoor dal and fry till all water dries up. It will take around another couple of minutes.
- Next add soaked rice and mix very well. Sauté for another few minutes but be careful that the grians do not break.
- Add water just the double amounts of rice and lentil u have put in.
- Adjust salt. Add slit green chilli. Mix. Cover and cook till the rice and lentils are done and all water dries up.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and serve with ‘Lauki Kofta Curry‘ or ‘Chanar Kofta Curry’.