‘Mocha’ or banana flower is our family favourite. I cook different dishes with ‘Banana Flower’ quite often. Recently a few days back I prepared ‘Mochar Cutlet’. The sweet, spicy and crispy ‘Mochar Cutlet’ is good both as an appetiser, starter or snacks. Roasted and crushed peanuts give a nice crunch in the cutlet. Though preparing ‘mocha’ is a little tedious and tiring job but it worth doing. If you like ‘mocha’ and want to try different recipes with it you can always try ‘Niramish Mochar Ghonto’, ‘Chingrimach dea Mochar Ghonto’, ‘Mochar Paturi’, ‘Mochar Chop’, ‘Mochar Kebab’, ‘Mochar Kofta Curry’, ‘Mochar Niramish Kofta Curry’.
- Mocha or Banana Flower – 2 cups (Boiled & Chopped)
- Grated Coconut – 3-4 Tbsp
- Onion – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Potato – 1 (Boiled – For binding) or Bread – 2 Slices (Soaked)
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp (optional)
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2 (Chopped)
- Roasted Peanuts – A handful
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Bread Crumb – As required
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp + for frying the cutlets
- Boil banana flower adding a little turmeric powder. Squeeze the excess water and chop.
- In a large mixing bowl and put the boiled banana flower. Mash lightly with your hand.
- Add boiled potato or soaked bread.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and lightly sauté the chopped onion till they turn pink. Add the fried onion in the bowl.
- Crush the roasted peanut with the help of a mortar and pestle and add to the mixture.
- Add sugar and salt. Now combine all the ingredients together very well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 to 10 equal portions. Shape them according to your choice. If you find the mixture a little runny add a little bread crumb.
- In a plate spread bread crumb and coat the cutlets from all sides.
- If you wish you can coat the cutlets twice. Just make slurry with all purpose flour or cornflour and water.
- Let the cutlets rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for shallow frying. Carefully slide the cutlet in hot oil. Keep the flame on medium. Fry till they turns brown and crisp on all sides.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.