‘Firni’ or ‘Phirni’ is a milk based dessert made with broken rice and nuts. This time I made a little variation flavouring it with mango pulp. The creamy texture of ‘Firni’ blended with the flavour of mango gives a nice dimension to the dish. It is very easy to cook. Try this dessert on any special occasion.
Ingredients to serve 6
- Full Fat Milk – 1 L
- Khoya or Evaporated Milk – 2 Tbsp
- Mango Pulp – ½ cup
- Sugar – 3-4 Tbsp
- Basmati Rice / Gobindobhog Rice – 2 Tbsp
- Green Cardamom – 2 -3
- Rose Water – 1 tsp
- Chopped Almond and Pistachio – For garnish
- Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Now spread it on kitchen towel. Let them dry. Now grind them coarsely in a grinder. Keep aside.
- In a large vessel start boiling the milk. When it reduced to 2/3 rd add the ground rice.
- Stir continuously so that milk do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Let it cook for sometimes till the rice is done (on low heat).
- Add crushed green cardamom and ‘khoya’.
- Next add sugar and stir continuously. When the milk starts to thicken switch off the gas. Add rose water. Mix again.
- Pour it in a bowl and let it cool completely. Now mix in mango pulp.
- Pour it into individual serving bowl. Garnish with chopped almond and pistachio.