This is the season of ‘Lichu’ (Litchi). Now a days it is available in the market easily. Every fruit seller’s baskets are full with these red coloured juicy fruits! Though mango is been called the King of fruits but you cannot resist yourself from buying this amazing fruit. Muzaffarpur of Bihar is famous for this beautiful fruits. But alas it is available for very short period.
It is so tasty that I cannot resist myself from eating at least couple of these while making ‘Lichur Payesh’. ‘Lichur Payesh’ is a very simple recipe. All you have to do is thicken/reduce the volume of the milk and that needs a little patience. Just mix in Khoya and Sugar with some chopped dry fruits of your choice…. Refrigerate for few hours and serve it with chopped Litchi and Dry Fruits…. That’s it! Delicious ‘Lichur Payesh’ is ready.
Here I have used raisins, cashew, almond and pistachio from Place of Origin. You can get good quality of product with reasonable price at your doorstep. What else do you want! So not wasting any more time let’s make ‘Lichur Payesh’….
Ingredients to serve – 4
- Full Fat Milk – 1 L
- Rice Flour – 1 Tbsp
- Khoya – 2-3 Tbsp
- Sugar – 200 gms
- Dry Fruit – ½ cup (Cashew, Almond, Pistachio and Raisins – Chopped)
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Lichu or Litchi – 8 (Roughly Chopped)
- Pour Milk in a boiling pan, usually a deep heavy bottomed pan.
- Add 2 or 3 green cardamom.
- When the Milk comes to a boil low down the heat and let it boil till the milk reduces to almost half of its consistency. Stir occasionally.
- Chop the dry fruits.
- When the milk is reduced to half of its quantity, add khoya and sugar.
- Add rice flour and stir the milk continuously so that the milk does not burn or scald the bottom of the container and does not stick.
- When the Milk has thickened to the right consistency add half of the chopped Dry Fruits and remove from heat and pour it in a serving bowl. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile shell and deseed the litchis. Chop them roughly.
- After the kheer/payesh cools completely sprinkle the litchi pieces and put it in the refrigerator for couple of hours.
- After couple of hours take it out and garnish with chopped Dry Fruits. Serve Lichur Payesh immediately.
~ Do not add chopped Litchi when the Kheer/Payesh is hot/warm, else the litchis will become soggy.