‘Dhyarosh’ or okra or lady finger is one of those vegetables that is cooked quite often in our place. I prefer to cook it with mustard and poppy seed paste. Adding a little mustard paste gives a nice balance to the dish. While cooking one thing that has to be kept in mind that okras should not be over cooked. Else it will lose its texture as well as taste. It takes about 12-15 minutes to cook the dish and it is super easy. You must have already familiar with my love for ‘posto’ and this recipe also been added to the list like the previous one i.e. ‘Borboti Posto’.
- Dhyarosh or Okra – 200 gms
- Poppy Seed – 4 Tbsp
- White Mustard Seed – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli – 2-3
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Soak mustard seeds and poppy seeds in warm water for 30 minutes. Now ground it into a smooth paste adding green chilli and a little salt.
- I have kept the okra whole; you can cut into bite size pieces. Discard the top and end part and make a slit on the top.
- Heat oil in a pan. Put the okras in. Lightly sauté them adding a little turmeric. Keep the heat on low and stir occasionally covering the pan.
- When the okras become a little soft add sugar, salt and red chilli powder. Keep stirring.
- Next add the ground paste and mix very well. Sauté for another couple of minutes then add a little water and cook till okras are done. Keep in mind that the okras should be cooked but not over cooked. Else it will become soggy.
- Remove the cover and serve hot with fulka or steamed rice only.