I love soups. Be it any type of soup. My Mom makes both vegetarian and non vegetarian version of tomato soups very well. This time I made Cream of Broccoli Soup. This is a very classic soup and nothing fancy about it. Since I couldn’t get celery I only added white onion. But celery gives a nice flavor in the soup. Adding fresh cream is optional. Again adding it gives a very smooth texture to the soup. It can be cooked in both vegetarian and non vegetarian version. Those who are vegetarian add vegetable stock in place of chicken stock. If you do not have vegetable or chicken stock you can cook with water too or else you can use chicken or vegetable stock cubes readily available in market. I have cooked with vegetable stock. Different stock adds different flavor to the soup.
- Broccoli Florets – 3 cups
- Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock or Water – 1 L
- Onion – 1 (Large-chopped)
- Milk – 1 cup
- Butter – 3-4 Tbsp
- All purpose flour – 2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Fresh Cream – ¼ cup
- Wash the broccoli florets. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a pot. Sauté onion until they turn translucent. Add broccoli and sauté for few seconds.
- Now add chicken stock/vegetable stock/water. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Let it cool for some time. Now blend the whole thing in a blender. Blend in batches.
- Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in another pan and add flour. Sauté till flour turns light brown.
- Add milk and stir continuously till it turns thick.
- Pour in the blended soup mix very well.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Add in fresh cream. Serve hot with choice of bun or dinner roll.