‘Upma’ is a famous south Indian breakfast recipe that can be cooked very easily. It is healthy and nutritious. More over It can be cooked in few minutes. You can pack this for your kid’s lunch box too. My Mom used to pack this for my lunch box during my school days or even for used to serve this as evening snack while returning from school.
- Fine Rava or Semolina – 150gms
- Onion – 1 (Medium-Chopped)
- Mixed Vegetables – ½ cup (I have used carrot, beans and green peas)
- Green Chilli – 2 (Chopped)
- Channa Dal or Skinned & Split Bengal Gram – ½ tsp
- Urad Dal or Skinned & Split Black Gram – ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaf – 2 sprigs
- Ginger – ½ tsp (Chopped)
- Pea Nuts – A handful
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander – 3-4 Tbsp
- Lightly roast rava till light brown. Keep aside and let it cool for some time.
- Heat oil in pan and add mustard seeds. When it starts to crackle add chopped onion. Fry till it turns translucent.
- Now add cumin seeds, chopped ginger, channa dal and urad dal.
- Next add chopped vegetables, chopped green chillies, peanuts, green peas and curry leaves. Stir for few minutes.
- Now add rava or semolina in the pan and mix quickly.
- Now add water and let it boil. Water should be just double of the semolina. If you are using 1 cup semolina add 2 cups of water.
- Add sugar. Adjust salt. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes on low fire. Stir continuously, else it will stick to the bottom. When all the water gets dried up remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander, sev and lemon wedges. Serve hot.