It is my 400th post and I wanted to celebrate by sharing a desert. This Coffee Sponge Cake is one of my favourite which I learnt it from my Mom. As I have mentioned in my earlier posts that my Mom is an excellent cook and at the same time she bakes awesome cakes too. Most of my cake recipe is from her. I am fond of this soft cake with butter cream frosting. This is a very easy recipe but needs a little patience. Hope you like my recipe and try baking it!
Ingredients for Cake:
- Egg – 3
- Sugar – 150 gms
- Flour – 175 gms
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Cocoa Powder – 1 Tbsp
- Instant Coffee Powder – 1 tsp
- Melted Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Warm Milk/ Water – 3 Tbsp
Ingredients for Butter Cream Frosting:
- Butter – 125 gms
- Icing Sugar – 200 gms
- Coffee Powder – 1 tsp
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tsp
- Warm Milk – To dissolve coffee and cocoa powder
- Dark Chocolate (Optional)
- Separate egg white and egg yolk. Beat the egg white separately till it form soft peak.
- Now add sugar a little at a time and beat till sugar dissolves and forms a thick batter.
- Now add the egg yolks one at a time and beat again.
- Sieve flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Now add this mixture to the batter. Mix well. The batter should be smooth.
- In a bowl mix melted butter, coffee and warm water/milk. Now add this mixture to the batter.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 C. Now pour the batter in 8” round baking tray. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 180 C.
- Let the cake cool down completely. Ideally the butter cream frosting should be done 1 day after the cake is baked.
- Cut the cake horizontally through middle.
- Beat the butter very well to form a smooth cream. Now add half of the icing sugar and the coffee + cocoa powder + milk mix.
- Now mix the rest of the icing sugar and beat till the butter cream forms peak.
- Pour half of the butter cream on low lower portion of the cake and top it with the other portion.
- Apply rest of the butter cream on the top.
- Now sprinkle some dark chocolate chips on top. Coffee Sponge Cake is ready!