This “Omelette-er Jhal” or Indian Style Omelettes in Gravy is one of my favourite egg dishes. There is something about an omelette basking in a thin curry and growing fat and pillowey, all so that you can bite into its softness and let the curry juice trickle down your throat. It makes an omelette far more sensuous than an omelette.
I don’t know if anywhere other than in a Bengali home, an omelette is dunked into a gravy. Why you might ask? I mean why can’t you just eat an omelette like it is destined to be eaten – just like the omelette in a gravy? If you ask me about the origin of this recipe let me be very clear that … I really do not know. From my childhood days I have seen this dish been prepared in my home at dinner and our entire family member used to relish this dish very much!
Now, there are many Bengali homes too where this dish is not the norm. But my Maa, has been making this for ages and I have always loved this slightly runny ‘jhol’ (gravy) with its potatoes and soft omelettes. My father loves it much more than the regular egg curry aka dim er ‘jhol’ and asks for it often. It is pretty simple to make too. Roti and omelette er ‘jhol’ makes for a very comforting dinner for us. Now, I make make ‘Masal Omelette’ for this gravy recipe. If you want you can make a regular omelette too and then dunk it into gravy. And the end result is divine !!!
Ingredients to serve 4
For making omelette:
- Eggs – 4 (Or more eggs if you so wish)
- Onion – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 2 (Finely chopped)
- Chopped Coriander Leaf – 3-4 tsp
- Salt – To taste
For making the gravy:
- Potato – 1 (Big – cut into thin half moon shape)
- Onion Paste – 3 Tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Tomato – 1 (Medium – chopped)
- Garlic – 3-4 Clove (Chopped)
- Red Chillie Powder – ¾ tsp
- Green Chillies – 2 (Slitted)
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander Leaf – 2-3 tsp (For garnish)
- Making omelette:
- Break the eggs in a bowl,two at a time.
- To it add a Tbsp of onion finely chopped, green chillies finely chopped, chopped coriander leaf and salt to taste. Beat them to a smooth mix.
- Nowmake an Omelette. Heat oil in a frying pan. Pour out the egg batter on the pan and swirl till the batter is evenly distributed and let it cook. Fold the omelette in half and cook both sides. Slide it out on a plate. When cool slice in two portions. You can also slice up in cubes or squares.
- Making the thin gravy for Omlette er Jhal:
- Heat2 Tbsp Oil in a Kadhai/Pan. Temper the oil with slitted green chillies and chopped garlic.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till onion softens.
- Toss inpotato cut in thin half moon shapes. With a sprinkle of turmeric powder, fry the potatoes and onion until they turn golden.
- Next adda chopped tomato.
- Add ginger paste. Fry for a couple of minutes. Tomato should be totally mushed up by now.
- Add red chillie powder and about1 cup of warm water, salt to taste and mix well. Let the gravy come to a simmer.
- Cover and let the potatoes cook.
- Once the potatoes are done add the omelette into the gravyand let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Best served with roti or steamed rice.