We love ‘posto’ with every possible vegetables that can be cooked with it. ‘Begun’ or brinjal or eggplant is one of my favourite vegetables. And I cook quite often with it. I have already shared some recipes with brinjal or eggplant like ‘Begun Basanti‘, ‘Dubkiwale Dahi Baingan‘, ‘Bahari Begun‘ etc… If you are fond of ‘begun’ like me. You may try those recipes too.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Begun or Eggplant – 2 (Cut into thick strips)
- Posto or Poppy Seeds – 5-6 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- Ginger Paste – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 5-6
- Mustard Seeds – ½ sp
- Nigella Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ¼ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – For frying the eggplants + 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Leaf – For garnishing
- Cut the brinjals lengthwise into 6 to 8 pieces.
- Sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder on them. Leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Soak poppy seeds in warm water for 30 minutes. Now grind it into a smooth paste adding 2 green chilli.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan for frying the eggplants. Keep aside.
- Take another pan and temper the oil with mustard seeds and nigella seeds.
- Add ginger paste and sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Now add poppy seed paste, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Sauté till all water from the poppy seed paste dries up.
- Now add a little water and let it come to boil. Add fried brinjals.
- Add sugar and slit green chilli. Adjust salt. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with steamed rice.