It was Mother’s Day yesterday and I had decided to cook some special dish which is my Mom’s favourite. My Mom like kebab too like me. I had all the ingredients for Chicken Reshmi Kebab and hence decided to cook the same. ‘Resham’ means silk. The texture of the kebeb should be such that would melt in your mouth. Chicken Reshmi Kebab is made with small pieces of boneless chicken (preferable breast pieces), marinated in juicy mixture of curd, cream, cheese, cashew nut paste and few Indian Spices and then grilled in tandoor (traditional clay oven). Since tandoor is not available at home I cooked it in oven. You can cook on skillet or tava also and then can infuse it with some charcoal flavor. It is one of the most popular Indian Kebab dish, served in almost every restaurant. The beautiful aroma of flavors and melt in your mouth tenderness of chicken are the important things to be taken care while cooking it.
Today I have used boneless chicken breast for making my kebab, but some people use chicken leg pieces or drumsticks as well. I also prepare with chicken drumsticks with slight variation in ingredients and marination time. That I’ll share later. The marination of this kebab is so juicy and tender that really turns into a mouth melting kebab dish.
Chicken Kebabs are always considered as a healthy appetiser or starter. You can make variety of Chicken Kebabs in your home, such as Chicken Hariyali Kebab, Chicken Seekh Kabab, Chicken Tikka Kabab and many more. Marination should be well done with spices and flavors, and the next important aspect is timing of cooking the chicken. For making kebabs you can use boneless chicken or even chicken on bone! I personally prefer boneless chicken pieces if I’m serving as party starter.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Chicken – 600 gms (Boneless – Cut into medium cubes)
- Yogurt – 1 cup (Thick)
- Green Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Cheese – ¼ cup (Grated)
- Fresh Cream – ¼ cup
- Nutmeg Powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- White Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Cashew Paste – 1 tsp
- Cornflour – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped Coriander – 2 tsp
- Butter – For brushing
- Wooden skewers
- Green Chutney – For serving
- Green Salad – For serving
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the ingredients mentioned under for first marination and rest for 30 minutes.
- In another bowl whisk fresh cream, yogurt, cheese, chopped coriander, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture on the marinated chicken. Coat well and leave for 3-4 hours in refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C degrees for 5 minutes. Soak the wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Thread the chicken pieces into skewers and place in the oven. Lightly brush with some butter.
- Place the chicken pieces, an inch apart on a wire rack. Cook chicken on medium rack for 20 -30 minutes, brushing with butter every 5 minutes. This helps the chicken to roast evenly and not lose its moisture.
- Grill for about 20 – 30 minutes until chicken tenders and becomes juicy and black spots appear. When the chicken is done, then remove out from the skewers.
- Serve hot with coriander chutney and green salad.
~ If you don’t have a microwave or an OTG, you can do this on a normal tawa. Just place the chicken pieces on a tawa and keep turning them using tongs.