I have never cooked or tested any fish preparation cooked with ‘mouri’ or fennel. It was one of my foodie friends who shared this recipe in a food group and I found it interesting. I modified the recipe a little of my own and cooked it few days back. It was very nice and, easy and different. So, I thought of sharing the recipe with you. Serve it with plane steamed rice and you are done!
Ingredients to serve 4
- Katla Mach or Carp – 8 pieces
- Onion Paste – 4-5 Tbsp
- Ginger Paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic Paste – ½ tsp
- Fennel Seed Paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Yogurt – 100 gms
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1”
- Green Cardamom – 2
- Clove – 2
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- Kashmiri Mirch Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Green / Red Chilli – 2
- Mustard Oil – 2 Tbsp + For frying the fish
- Smear some turmeric and salt on the fish pieces. Marinade for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai to shallow fry the fish pieces. Slide fish in hot oil. Fry them carefully. Takeout from oil and keep aside.
- In the same oil add whole garam masala and tejpatta/bay leaf.
- Now add onion paste and cook till oil separates. Add ginger and garlic paste. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add add masala powder and fry well. Beat yogurt adding some water and add in the wok. Mix for couple of minutes.
- Now add fried fish pieces, fennel seed paste and slit green chill. Adjust salt. Cover and cook till fish pieces are done.
- Serve with steamed rice.