‘Pulao’ or Pilaf is a rice dish cooked with vegetables or dry fruits of chicken/mutton. Pulao is the most popular rice dish in India. I have shared many ‘pulao’ recipes like ‘Peas Pulao‘, ‘Basanti Pulao‘, ‘Bengali Style Vegetable Pulao‘, ‘Tri Colour Pulao‘, ‘Prawn Pulao‘, ‘Shahi Moti Pulao‘, Dhakai Morog Pulao‘ etc. Today I’ll share a very simple and basic Vegetable Pulao that can be cooked very easily with few ingredients. Here is the recipe for the same.
Ingredients to serve 4:
- Basmati Rice – 200 gms
- Chopped Vegetables – 1 cup (carrot, beans, green peas)
- Onion – 1 (Thinly sliced)
- Green Chilli – 1 (Slitted)
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Green Cardamom – 3-4
- Cinnamon – 2”
- Clove – 2-3
- Keora Water – 1 tsp
- Zafran – 1 pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Wash the rice and soak for 30 minutes. Keep aside.
- Chop vegetables and onion very thinly.
- Heat oil+ghee in a kadai or wok. In the same oil add bay leaf, dry whole masala and onion. Fry till onions become translucent.
- Add in the vegetables. Stir for few minutes.
- Now add soaked rice. Sauté till the rice grains become a little long and white in colour. It will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Now add water, double the amount of rice.
- Add green chilli. Adjust salt.
- Cover and cook till the rice is done.
- Soak zafran in keora water. Remove the cover and stir very carefully.
- Now sprinkle the keora water. Remove from heat. Mix, cover and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with any Vegetable curry, Chicken, Mutton or Fish preparation.