‘Matar Kachori’ or ‘Koraishutir Khasta Kochuri’ (Khasta in Bengali meaning Crispy) or ‘Koraishutir Tepa Kochuri’ (‘Tepa’ in Bengali meaning Pressed) is a winter delight that my Pishi (Paternal Aunt) makes every year. She sends this ‘Kachori’ along with ‘Lau er Payesh’ (Bottle Gourd Pudding) every year. This year I decided to make it of my own. It is on a little sweeter side, soft inside and crisp outside. While making these ‘Kachori’ I realized how much patience you need to fry these. You need to fry in a very slow fire and you need to put so much of oil that the ‘Kachories’ will complete immersed into it while frying. I served it with tea. You can serve it with choice of your chutney or sauce as well.
Ingredients to make 8 Kachori:
- Green Peas – 1 cup (Shelled)
- Flour – 200 gms
- Bhaja Moshla (Roasted Cumin and Red Chilli Powder) – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ¾ tsp
- Kalo Jeera or Nigella Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 3 Tbsp+ for deep frying
- Mustard Oil – 3 tsp
- Grind peas into smooth paste.
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai or wok. Temper the oil with nigella seeds.
- Now add the green peas paste and keep stirring.
- Add sugar. Adjust salt. Mix well.
- When the paste turns into a little dark green and start releasing from sides of the wok, it is done.
- Add ‘bhaja moshla’ and garam masala. Mix well. Keep aside to let it cool completely.
- While the stuffing is cooling off start kneading the dough.
- In a large mixing bowl mix in flour, salt and 3 Tbsp of oil.
- Now start kneading the dough adding little water at a time. Cover and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portion. Roll it between your palms and press lightly.
- Now roll it into a 4 inch disk with the help of a rolling pin.
- Take 2 tsp of stuffing and put in the middle of the disk. Cover it from all sides. Seal the end part carefully else the stuffing will come out while frying. Press lightly to shape it like a round small disk.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok for deep frying. Warm up the oil and then turn the fire to low. Release 1 kachori and fry under very low heat till it become golden brown from all sides.
- Take out from oil and put it on absorbant paper.
- Serve hot with tea or coffee with choice of your sauce of chutney.