‘Afgani Chicken’ or ‘Chicken Afgani’ is one the tastiest chicken dish that I have ever cooked. Chicken marinated in fresh cream, curd, cashew paste with other Indian spices makes the chicken more soft and succulent. The charcoal flavor in marinade gives a different dimension to the recipe. I prefer to prepare it a little dry and serve with Vegetable Pulao. You can always add a little milk or water for gravy and serve with Tilwale Tawa Naan.
Ingredients to serve 5 to 6
- Chicken – 1 kg (With bones)
For first marination:
- Lemon Juice – 4 tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
For second marination:
- Hung Curd – 100 gms
- Fresh Cream – 4 -5 Tbsp
- Cashew Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Roasted Kasuri Methi Powder – 2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Jawitri or Mace Powder – ¼ tsp
- Jaiphal or Nutmeg Powder – ¼ tsp
- Saffron – A few strands
- Oil – 4-5 Tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Charcoal – 1 piece
- Chopped Chilli – For Garnish
- Chopped Coriander – For Garnish
- Wash and pat dry chicken pieces. Marinade the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under for first marination. Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Now add all the ingredients mentioned under for second marination. Coat well.
- Burn the charcoal and put it in a small bowl. Now put the bowl in the middle of the marinated chicken. Drizzle 1 tsp ghee on it. When the fume starts to release, cover the bowl and leave for one hour. This process will give nice charcoal flavor in chicken.
- After 1 hour heat oil in a pan. Slowly put all the chicken pieces in the pan. Cover and cook.
- After 5-6 minutes remove the cover. Turn the chicken pieces and add the excess marination that was in the bowl.
- Adjust salt. Drizzle remaining 1 tsp of ghee and cover. Cook till oil release from sides and the chicken pieces are cooked through.
- This chicken dish is semi dry preparation and it is cooked in its own juice and marination. If you wish you can add a little water for gravy.
- Garnish with chopped chilli and coriander. Serve with Vegetable Pulao.