South Indian cuisine is one of my favourite cuisine. And I love South Indian food. I keep on trying new recipes from South Indian cuisine. Chettinad Chicken Dry is one of my favourite starter or appetiser that I cook quite often. Since I serve it as an appetiser I always make it a little dry. If you wish you can add a little coconut while grinding onion and other ingredients. It tastes awesome with steamed rice or with dosa too. The flavor of curry leaves infused with other spices gives an unique flavor in this dish. If you are fond of South Indian cuisine I would recommend that you must try this recipe.
Ingredients to serve 5 to 6
- Chicken – 1 kg (With bones)
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Onion – 1 (Big)
- Tomato – 1 (Small)
- Curry Leaves – 2-3 Sprigs
- Ginger – 1” Piece
- Garlic – 4-5 pods
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Corn – ½ tsp
- Whole Red Chilli – 2-3
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 4-5 Tbsp
- Chopped Coriander and Onion Rings for garnish
- Marinate the chicken with lime juice, ½ tsp turmeric and a little salt for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the masala paste and roasted masala powder.
- Dry roast cumin, coriander, fennel, black pepper corn and red chilli till you get nice aroma. Let it cool for sometimes and then grind them into coarse powder.
- In same grinder grind onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and coriander (optional) into fine paste. This is the second marination.
- Marinated the chicken with this second marination for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok. Add the marinated chicken and sauté well. You’ll find that water will start releasing from chicken. Cover and cook till chicken is half done.
- Now remove the cover and add the dry masala and salt. Keep on stirring the chicken so that the masala powder evenly coats from all sides. Keep the flame on low-medium.
- When oil starts to release from all sides sprinkle a little garam masala and Chettinad Chicken dry is ready to be served.
- Garnish with some coriander, chopped onion and lemon wedges. Serve it as a starter or appetizer.