I love chocolate …. And that is in any form. One of the easiest ways to prepare any dish with chocolate I find is chocolate cake. This time I baked a Chocolate & Walnut Cake. The rich flavor of chocolate and crunchiness of walnuts goes very together. I have used both regular sugar and brown sugar as brown sugar gives very nice colour and flavor to the cake but if you do not get brown sugar you can substitute it with regular sugar as well. I have use some raisins in the cake if you do not like raisins, as many people do not like the taste of raisin like my Mom, you may discard using it. Here goes the recipe!
- All Purpose Flour – 150 gms
- Sugar – 100 gms
- Brown Sugar – 50 gms
- Butter – 150 gms
- Egg – 3 nos
- Vanilla Essence – 1 ½ tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Cocoa Powder – 2 Tbsp
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Raisins – A handful
- Walnut – 25 gms
- Sieve flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar till it turns into a smooth cream.
- Add brown sugar. Start adding eggs, one at a time. Mix very well.
- Now start adding the flour mix. Add a small quantity at a time and mix well.
- Add milk, vanilla essence and raisins.
- Grease an 8” round or square baking tray. Pour the whole mix.
- Pre heat the oven at 200 C.
- Break the walnuts in small pieces and sprinkle on the mix.
- Bake on the middle rack at 180 – 200 C for 40-45 minutes. Insert a knife in the cake, if it comes out clean then the cake is done, if not then bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let it come to room temperature. Unmold and cut into pieces and serve.
- If you wish you may dust some caster sugar on the cake to get the snowy effect.