‘Gratin’ is a widespread culinary technique in which an ingredient is topped with a browned crust, often using breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg and/or butter. ‘Gratin’ originated in French cuisine and is usually prepared in a shallow dish of some kind. A gratin is baked or cooked under an overhead grill or broiler to form a golden crust on top and is traditionally served in its baking dish. [Source: Wiki]
Gratin could be made of different things like potato, broccoli, avocado, Mac n Cheese etc. But I like the combination of shrimp with capsicum and potato with cheese. Here is my version of Shrimp Au Gratin. I have shared a similar recipe before you can try that too here … Baked Vegetables in White Sauce and Cheese.
Ingredients to serve 6
- Potato – 2 medium (cut into small cubes)
- Capsicum – 1 cup (cut into small cubes)
- Shrimp – 1 cup (Shelled and devained)
- Onion – 1 cup (sliced)
- Garlic – 3 tsp (chopped)
- Coriander leaves – 4-5 tsp (chopped)
- Cheese – ½ cup (Grated)
- Salt – To taste
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Bread Crumb – 3-4 Tbsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Butter – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
For White Sauce:
- Butter – 3 Tbsp
- Flour – 3 Tbsp (Heaped)
- Milk – 1 cup
- In a large pot put 2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt. Bring it to boil. Now put in potato and per boil. Drain the water and keep aside.
- In another pan heat oil + butter. Add garlic, onion and shrimp. Stir for 3-4 minutes. Now add capsicum. Stir for another couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile take a wide bottomed saucepan. Add butter and place on low heat, add flour. Stir for couple of minutes till flower changes colour to light brown. Start adding the milk slowly and stir continuously.
- Also add salt and pepper. Soon it will start thickening. Switch off the gas and add the sautéed shrimp and vegetables.
- Add half of the grated cheese.
- At this stage while mixing the vegetables if you find that it is difficult to mix you can add a little water.
- Take a baking dish and pour the whole mixture into it. Top it with bread crumb and grated cheese.
- Preheat oven at 180°C for 5 minutes before baking. Bake at 180°C for 10 to 15 minutes or until nice brown on top and baked.
- Serve hot with dinner roll or bread toast.