Broccoli is rich in dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and more importantly anti-oxidants and has anticancer properties. It was never a preferred vegetable at home for years. Iam sharing an easy veg gravy recipe for chapatti, roti or paratha. Recipe is too simple and quick to make. There is no garlic paste and no nut paste used for this broccoli gravy. If you wish you can use all the ones I mentioned above. I do not add too many ingredients for broccoli gravy or curry since it is flavorful on its own and extra additions may dominate the flavor of broccoli.
To make this broccoli gravy curry recipe, I have used baby potatoes and boiled peas along with broccoli, if you don’t like you can skip the potatoes. Most Indians love potatoes, serving broccoli with potatoes makes it interesting for them. I use potatoes without boiling and they get cooked well in the pan itself. But some kinds of potatoes do not get cooked up easily, in that case use boiled potatoes.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Broccoli Florets – 3 cups (cleaned and washed)
- Baby Potato – 6 (or 2 Medium sized – cubed)
- Peas – ½ cup (Boiled)
- Cumin Seed – ¼ tsp
- Chopped Onion – ¾ cup
- Ginger Paste – ½ tsp
- Tomato – 1 (Chopped)
- Green Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 pinch
- Fresh Cream – 4-6 Tbsp
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- In a pan add oil and heat up, add cumin and bay leaf and sauté to get an aroma.
- Add onions and fry till golden. Add potatoes and fry for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the potatoes are almost cooked. During this, the onions get caramelized and potatoes get browned and they begin to release a nice aroma.
- Add ginger paste and chopped tomatoes. Fry till the tomatoes are cooked and smashed.
- Add broccoli, boiled peas. Sprinkle salt, cumin powder and turmeric. Fry for 2 to 3 mins on medium high.
- Cover and cook till the broccoli is half cooked.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, mix well and fry for a min or 2.
- Add water and cover. Do not overcook broccoli otherwise the colour and flavor will disappear.
- Add fresh cream, cover and let it rest for couple of minutes.
- Serve Broccoli Curry with chapathi, roti or paratha.