‘Khichuri’ or ‘Kichdi’ is our all time favourite one pot meal option! I cook different types of ‘Khichuri’ from time to time. Today I’ll be sharing ‘Chicngri Mach dea Khichuri’ (Khichuri with Shrimp). Since cauliflower and green peas are still available in market, I thought of making ‘Sabji Khichuri’ or Mix-Veg Khichuri adding some shrimps. Shrimps with heads give a beautiful flavor to the dish. If you do not fnd fresh shrimps, you can use frozen too.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Split and Husked Moong Dal – ½ cup
- Masoor Dal – ½ cup
- Basmati Rice/Gobindobhog Rice – 1 cup
- Potato – 4 (Medium – cut into halves)
- Shrimps – 20-25 pieces
- Cauliflower – 8-10 Florets
- Green Peas – ¼ cup
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Whole Red Chilly – 2
- Cinnamon – 1”
- Cloves – 3-4
- Green Cardamom – 2-3
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Green Chilli – 2
- Onion – 2 (Chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (Chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Chopped)
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ¾ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Ghee – 2 Tbsp
- Mustard Oil or any other oil – ½ cup
- Coriander Leaves Chopped – For garnishing
- Water – 4-5 cups
- Wash Rice and soak it for 30 minutes in water.
- Dry roast Moong Dal till you get some light brown spots on them. Let it cool. Wash roasted Moong Dal and Masoor Dal thoroughly.
- Drain both the dals and rice and keep them aside.
- Marinate te shrimps with a little salt and turmeric powder.
- Take a heavy bottomed big pan or handi. Pour 3 cups of water and let it boil.
- When the water starts boiling add the washed and soaked dal, salt and 1 tsp mustard oil. Cover and cook. If you wish you can cook the dals in a pressure cooker putting about 1 ½ cups of water.
- Now take another kadai/pan. Heat 2 Tbsp of mustard oil. Lightly sauté the cauliflowers and keep them aside.
- In the same pan add some more oil and sauté the potatoes and keep them aside.
- Add some more oil if required and temper the oil with cumin seeds, cinnamon, clove, green cardamom, red whole chillie and bay leaf.
- When they start exuding aroma add chopped ginger. Stir for few seconds.
- Now add chopped onion. Fry till onion turns light pink.
- Next add marinated shrimps. Sauté till the prawns turn pink.
- Add chopped tomato and fry till oil separates.
- Add the green chillis, peas, fried cauliflower and potato. Mix and add all the dry masalas. If you are not adding any vegetables you can avoid adding coriander powder.
- Add 1 cup of water and let it boil.
- Check if the dals are half done. Add washed, soaked and drained rice and the fried msala with shrimps and vegetables with the dal. Add 1 cup of warm water.
- Add sugar and adjust salt. Add garam masala powder.
- Cover and cook till all the vegetables rice and dals are done. Stir and check in between. If you find the consistency is too thick add more water. I like my Khichuri with vegetables of little thin consistency like porridge.
- Serve this hot drizzled with Ghee and with some fried fritters like aloo bhaja and papad bhaja with some tomato chutney.
~ You can cook Chingri Mach dea Khichuri without adding any vegetables.
~ I have added dals in equal quantity. You can use dals in any ratio. Just keep in mind that the ratio between rice and dals should be 1:1.