Another favorite breakfast dish during winter is Matar Aloo ki Sabzi. The potato with skin and green peas when cooked with dry fenugreek or ‘kasuri methi’ and asafetida gives very unique flavor to the curry. Generally I serve this curry with ‘Poori’ or ‘Roti’ but it tastes equally good with bread too. If you cook this curry during winter I’ll recommend cooking the potato with skin. As new potato cooked with skin gives an unique flavor, else you can cook without skin too. This is an quick an easy version of potato and green peas curry as I prefer to cook in pressure cooker. Try this easy n quick Matar Aloo ki Sabzi any day for breakfast or any other meal!
Ingredients to serve 4
- Matar or Green Peas – 1 cup
- Potato – 1 cup (Cut into small cubes with skin)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Nigella Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Dry Whole Chilli – 1
- Kasuri Methi or Dry Fenugreek Leaf – 1 tsp
- Chopped Coriander – 2-3 tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – Ta taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and temper the oil with asafetida, cumin seeds, nigella seeds and dry chilli. When they start to crackle add ginger paste and potatoes. Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add all the dry masalas, green chilli and kasuri methi. Adjust salt and sauté for few more minutes.
- Add water just to cover the vegetables. Close the lid and cook till first whistle and on low heat for another 2 to 3 minutes. Let the pressure release of its own.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with bread, roti or paratha.