‘Punjabi Mthi Aloo’ or ‘Mthi Aloo’ is a very simple, easy to cook yet tasty dish that is loved by all in my family. During winter when there is fresh fenugreek leaves are available in market, I prepare it quite often. The flavor of fresh fenugreek cooked with hing and cumin powder gives a unique flavor to the potato. Here I have used chopped onion. But if you wish you can avoid making it a ‘No onion No garlic’ dish. Here goes my version of Methi Aloo.
Ingredients to serve 4-5
- Potato – 6 (Medium – Boiled and cut into big chunks)
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Dry Red Chilli – 2
- Fresh Fenugreek Leaves – 1 Cup (Chopped)
- Hing or Asafetida – 2 pinches
- Ginger Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Tomato – 1 (Medium – Chopped)
- Onion – 1 (Medium – Finely chopped) (optional)
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 pinch
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – 2-3 Tbsp
- Heat oil in the kadai or wok. Temper the oil with asafetida and cumin seeds. When they exudes aroma add bay leaf and dry red chilli.
- Add chopped onion if you are adding. Fry till they becomes translucent. Next add ginger paste.
- When oil starts separating add chopped tomato. When they all mushed up and oil starts to release from sides add chopped fenugreek leaves and all dry masalas.
- When the fenugreek leaves are halfway done add boiled potato pieces. Mix very well and sprinkle a little water so that all comes together. Stir for another couple of minutes.
- Methi Aloo is ready to be served with roti or paratha or Bajre Ki Roti.